I have doubled my rates in the first year…
You are incredible and I love that you talk about pricing and time tracking. Your rate calculator helped me understand my base rate when I was figuring everything out in my first year of freelancing and now I have doubled my rates in my first year and I love how much more I value my own time and how others value my time because of this.
Are you a service provider or coach?
Close your eyes and imagine a potential new coaching or freelance client smiling at you and saying,
“That sounds great! How much will a project like this cost?”
And instead of panicking…
…or lowballing yourself…
…or backpedaling when the client hesitates…
…and then kicking yourself in the face later when the project goes overtime…
…you confidently present a price that makes you feel excited to take on the project.
Imagine knowing how to calculate a project price that allows you to be creative and generous in your work.
Imagine knowing that your expenses and salary will be covered this month.
Imagine being able to hire a team member, do more pro bono work for causes that you care about, or just plain work less.
Now, open your eyes.
Everything you just imagined?
How I Turned My Pricing Guilt Around and What It Means For You
When I started my first business back in 2011, I refused to look at my numbers. There’s always a cost to starting a business, I told myself. I’ve got a part-time job to float that cost, I told myself.
Turns out I was actually paying to take pictures of people. Needless to say, that business model didn’t last.
Fast forward to 2016 when I became a parent and left my teaching career to start freelancing. My time wasn’t just mine anymore, and it literally cost me money in the form of child care to be able to work at all. Which meant I had just 3 hours a day of work time, and I couldn’t get more time even if I wanted to. I had to make sure my time was profitable.
Fortunately, I’ve always been pretty good at math.
It wasn’t hard to figure out how much I needed to charge if I wanted to make X dollars while working Y hours a week.
The hard part was actually bringing myself to say, “This project will cost $1,500.” And then $1,750. And then $2,000.
(Did I just hear you start wheezing in terror? Don’t worry, it gets better!)
After crying for a few months minutes, I Auntied myself out of my sneaky hate spiral.
I learned how to take my emotions (namely fear, guilt, and resentment) out of the driver’s seat of my business. They’re still along for the ride, but they’re just passengers.
My values are the driver, with data riding shotgun.
I value time with my family, so I set my prices in such a way that lets me work only while my kid is in school. No evenings, no weekends, because that’s family time.
I value efficiency, so I build the cost of tools and contractors into my business expenses which I then factor into my pricing. (And I know these numbers because I collect the data!)
I value creativity, so I structure my project pricing and schedules in a way that gives me time to innovate and take some risks.
It’s time to let your values take the wheel.
Hope You Get Rich
a 4-week pricing overhaul that will help you address your money hang-ups and start pricing yourself professionally once and for all
What you’ll learn
- Common pricing myths and mistakes
- How to disrupt your own worst pricing practices
- How to calculate an internal hourly rate that will get you to your income goals
- How to price projects and present those rates to clients
If you apply everything you learn in this class, it should easily pay for itself with your next project, no matter how much you’re charging now.
What’s included in the course:
You’ll get a fillable workbook and videos to read or watch on your own time before coming to a weekly 1-hour workshop to complete reflective exercises and pricing calculations with me there to lovingly hold your hand or kick your ass, whatever you find more motivational.
- Week 1: Why You’re Undercharging
- Week 2: Calculating Your Internal and External Rates
- Week 3: Setting Project Prices
- Week 4: Handling Price Objections (mostly your own!)
Workbook & Videos
- Money misbelief worksheet
- Business expense tracker
- Cost of living expense tracker
- Hourly rate calculator and conversion formulas
- Time tracking worksheet
- Printable money manifesto and affirmation worksheets
- Starting June 7, 2021
- 1-hour group workshops with Auntie
- Time to work on the exercises
- Breakout rooms for Q&As and practice
- Recordings and AI transcripts
- Assignment reminders and reflection questions from Auntie
- Space for you to post questions and concerns and get support from your classmates and Auntie
- Links to recorded workshops and other resources
I talk about money a lot and people seem to find it helpful…
I even convince my own contractors to charge me more!
Hope You Get Rich will be back in 2022!
In the meantime, you can grab some sample pages to look at and join the waitlist to be the first to know when HYGR reopens for enrollment.
Hope You Get Rich Guarantee
These proven pricing methods have been developed and tested over the last four years in my own business and in my clients’ businesses. They work and they’ll help you breathe easier about money, no matter where your prices are at now.
I guarantee you’ll be satisfied with your results if you do the work. This training is for action-driven business owners who are committed to implementation. What I don’t want this to be is another piece of information to collect dust on your digital bookshelf. (I can’t promise I won’t chase you down and nag you until you start…)
Hope You Get Rich is meant to be revisited as your business grows and changes. Once you sign up, you will have lifetime access to the resources and any updates I create.
My goal is to show you how be more in control of your business finances with this training, and for you to know how to value your own time and expertise and convey that value to clients.
This class is for…
Consultants & Speakers
- You’re sick of that sinking feeling any time someone asks, “So how much do you charge?”
- You think you should be earning more money for the amount of time you spend working and aren’t sure why you’re not
- You’re ready to spend less time working and more time with your family, creative work, or good old self care
- You want to know if you can make your business your main source of income
- You struggle with finding new projects, working too many hours, or wrangling fussy clients (yup, adjusting your prices can help with this!)
But you don’t have to take my word for it!
A little about me:
For those who don’t know me, my name is Jennifer Duann Fultz, frequently known as JDF, because who has time for my whole legal name? I’m a serial auntiepreneur on a mission to make space in the world for creative and unconventional Asian Americans and other people of color.
I’ve tried my hand at a wide variety of creative services in my time, including but not limited to:
- Wedding and portrait photography
- Content marketing
- Article/blog writing
- Email marketing
- Document design
- Web design
- …and several ill-fated forays into direct sales
It took me about five years to get truly profitable. Now I work part-time by choice and average about $100/hour on most projects.